The de regiueur statue of St Ignatius, here kneeling infront of the old Lucas Hall building. The Hall still sports the old logo the Ateneo de Cagayan
Fr. Edward J. Haggerty S.J., school Rector, who served as a military chaplain during the war years and as Military Vicar for the U.S. Armed Forces from Borneo to Okinawa, wrote in his diary: Iin fifteen minutes, the American liberator bombers destroyed our labor of 15 years." It reopened a few years after the war.
In March of 1958, the Ateneo de Cagayan received university status and its present name, Xavier University, in honor of St. Francis Xavier, the Jesuit missionary to the Indies and companion of St. Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus.
XU, as we fondly call it, is the first Ateneo to become a University. Ateneo de Manila gained its status a year after during its centennary.
When asked about the change in name, Fr. Francisco Araneta S.J., Rector explained that the change of name "merely crystallized an old spirit that always had been the soul of all Ateneos, the spirit of learning and service, the spirit of purposeful scholarship."
Just one of the many stained glass windows put up during the tenure of Fr Antonio Samson, SJ. This one shows a Filipino-style Pentecost
The University Chapel. Inscription means "Thou art all fair, Mary."
The imposing Immortals of Science facade of the 5-storey Science Center