The hotel was founded by the four Armenian Sarkies Brothers (Martin, Tigran, Aviet, and Arshak Sarkies). They opened the ten-room colonial bungalow at Beach Road and Bras Basah Roads on December 1, 1887.
The original location was by the seaside, although continued reclamation means that the site is presently some 500 m away from the shore. No Asians were permitted as hotel guests until the 1930s. (Source: Wickipedia)
The lush greenery that surrounds it reminds one of Singapore's British past as a colony. One could almost imagine men in white suits and safari hats come out into the verandahs to have high tea.