This church, whose construction started in 1587 and was completed in 1604, has been described as a permanent miracle in stone since it withstood the strong earth tremors that shook Manila after it was built. Manila was hit by strong earthquakes in 1645, 1863 and 1880 and this was among the only ones left standing.
This church follows the severe baroque style, but incorporates Herrera and Vignolesque influences which reached the archipelago from the Viceroyalty of Mexico. It was the only building left intact in Intramuros during the Liberation of Manila in 1945.
It was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1993.