Tuesday, August 01, 2006

PUERTA DE ISABEL II



Question: Was this statue of Isabel II erected for any special reason? When and by whom?

Trivia: The Philippines' and Southeast Asia's oldest bank, the Bank of the Philippine Islands, established in 1851, was also named after her (Banco Español-Filipino de Isabel II) when she was just 21. When the Queen was overthrown in 1869, the bank dropped her name.


Isabella II, Queen of Spain (1830-1904)

Detail: a bird rests on the royal head

Detail: Medallions

Detail: the robes of the Queen


The royal seal of Manila, the Distinguished and Ever Loyal City (Insigne y Siempre Leal Ciudad), whose title was granted it by Felipe II on June 10, 1574

4 comments:

E. S. de Montemayor said...

i think it was Gov. Carlos Ma. de la Torre who wanted to melt down the Isabella statue because he was Carlista and that statue represented the monarchy. i guess cooler heads prevailed and that was transferred some place inconspicuous.

idiotboard.blogspot.com

GENIUS IS JUST ANOTHER MOUSE! said...

Jules, thanks for the info. Of course I missed reading the notice (in Spanish) around the base of the statue, but I will visit it again - this time armed with my rusty Spanish - to confirm.

Can I link to your blog?

E. S. de Montemayor said...

sure. i shall link yours too... kakainggit nga blog mo, may solid theme and real purpose.

I write for the world said...

Jules, I try my very best to fulfill my self-imposed objectives. Will start linking your site and others over the weekend :-)

Thanks for visiting again!